The holidays are approaching along with all those tempting foods. But is overeating inevitable? It is not, according to Amanda Garant, staff Registered Dietitian with Motion 4 Life Fitness. She understands the struggles people face this time of year. If your favorite phrase at the table is ‘Please pass the gravy’, she has 6 timely tips that you can use to help you manage your eating during the holidays.
- Eat when you normally eat. Don’t cut out meals ahead of time to “save up” for dinner. Eat your meals at regular intervals so you are not overly hungry for the big meal. If you find that you did overeat, don’t starve yourself, just get back to normal eating, focusing on your portion sizes and the variety of your food.
- Use smaller plates and color variety. Using smaller plates will automatically help with portion control. A good rule of thumb is to make half your plate fruits and vegetables, ¼ carbohydrates, and ¼ protein. As an example, if you love sweet potato casserole, combine it with the same serving amount as your turkey. Also, if the food on your plate is all one color, you probably do not have enough variety.
- Eat slowly. Your body needs 20 minutes for your brain and belly to communicate. Put down your fork or spoon every so often, drink water, and engage in conversation.
- Save some for later. Instead of going for a second helping get some disposable to-go containers. If you are hosting, have these containers for your guests, they will thank you!
- Take a brisk walk before sitting down or watching the football games. Walking first will aid in digestion.
- Avoid excess alcohol, which will quickly pack on the pounds. If you are stressed, take time for yourself – exercise or relax in a hot bath and delegate meal and event preparation.
The above six tips can be applied to any meal anytime to aid in weight management. Putting them in practice today will help you have the discipline to apply them when faced with the Big Meal. Mrs. Garant emphasizes, “All foods fit, moderation is key” for healthy eating.
Motion 4 Life Fitness
Keep in touch!
Join our mailing list for information on classes, memberships and special events.
7 am – 7:30pm
Sat 8 am – 12 pm
14801 Market Center Drive
Suite 100, Carmel, IN 46033
(148th & Gray Road, Carmel / Westfield)